Sunday, December 8, 2019

MY FAVORITE OLD CHAIR



Once I had a favorite old chair
it’s where I would sit and never share.  
It was made of green leather and had a high back 
The arm rests, discolored and turned shades black.

The cushion was crushed and it sagged where I sat 
It was really quite comfy; and I liked it like that. 
Under the cushion, down in the cracks
It hid all the crumbs I had dropped from my snacks.

I liked that old chair, it fit like a glove
The feelings I had seemed to border on love.
 I’d sit there for hours while watching TV
And bask in the comfort of it’s arms around me.

But all  good things must come to an end
 The time had come to say goodby to my friend. 
My wife was insisting, the chair had to go
I can’t face the fact, please say it’s not so.

The chair now resides at the home of a friend 
I can’t face the fact that it’s come to an end.
 But still on occasion I go visit there
And take a few minutes to sit in my chair.


R. D. Bruss
12/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment