Wednesday, June 12, 2019

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY






THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY

SOME DAY”



Grace Arbor  is a ministry of the First United Church of Lawrenceville, Georgia. It is a faith-based congregational respite program for older adults with memory impairment. Our mission is to meet the social and emotional needs of these seniors as well as their caregivers. Grace Arbor is staffed by two full time staff members and a number of trained volunteers.

Recently, Lisa Hale, the director of Grace Arbor asked me to write a piece that would convey the essence of our ministry. In the beginning I was unsure about what I could write that would do justice to this wonderful ministry. Then one morning while preparing for the day it dawned on me that some day I may wake up and not remember how to do those things for myself. I thought that some day I may wake up and not remember my spouse or how to button my shirt.

I went to the computer and the words just kept coming. The words turned to sentences and the sentences to paragraphs. In what seemed like seconds the page was filled with thoughts of all the wonderful things that are Grace Arbor.

As I began to proofread the story I began to tear up. Tearing up is not a normal reaction for me when I read by own writings. Then it dawned on me that the words were not mine, that I was merely the scribe; putting the words on paper. They were given to me by the Great Author.

Not normally the case, this piece was completed with one draft, with the exception of a few changes of punctuation and grammar.

The following is the result.


RDB
2019


No comments:

Post a Comment